Guild Guitars

The history of Guild Guitars is the story of a great American tradition in the art of guitar manufacturing. It's a story rich in people and personalities, instruments and artists, triumphs and tragedies. But more than anything else, it is the story of a 45-year-old commitment to quality craftsmanship, superior value and guitars that are made to be played. The Guild Guitar line was founded as a quality alternative to the Gibson-Epiphone merger. Alfred Dronge, a professional guitarist and music store owner, and George Mann, a one-time Epiphone exec, formed a partnership and registered the Guild name in October of 1952. The partners set up shop in a 1500-square-foot New York City loft in the midst of two very important communities: the community of experienced craftsmen from the nearby Epiphone and Gretsch factories and the community of big-time jazz session guitarists performing and recording in New York. From the former group, Guild hired a handful of seasoned craftsmen to begin the design and production of the original Guilds. From the latter group, the recording artists with whom Dronge was connected, Guild was able to receive valuable professional input on building better guitars